American Visa for Sweden & Swiss Citizens: Which One Is Right For You?

Americans living in Sweden and Swiss citizens living in the USA can now apply for an American visa online. This article will explain the differences between the two visas, and provide tips on how to choose the one that is best for you.

European Visas

If you are a U.S. citizen, you might be wondering if you need a visa to visit Sweden or Switzerland. While both countries require a visa for American citizens, the requirements and process for obtaining one vary. AMERICAN VISA for Sweden Citizens

Sweden requires a visa for all visitors, regardless of nationality. The visa can be obtained at any Swedish embassy or consulate abroad. Applicants must provide Proof of Identification (a passport or valid ID card), Proof of Residence (a utility bill, lease agreement, etc.), and two photos. The application fee is €60.

Switzerland also requires a visa for all visitors, but has more lenient requirements than Sweden. You only need to provide proof of your identity and travel itinerary (your airline ticket). The Swiss embassy or consulate will issue the visa without requiring applications or fees.

American Visas

Sweden is a member of the European Union and has a visa-free regime with most EU countries.

If you are a U.S. citizen, your best bet for a Swedish visa is the electronic travel authority (ETA). The ETA allows Americans to stay in Sweden for up to 90 days without a visa.

To apply for the ETA, you first need to obtain an Electronic Visa Application (EVA) form from your nearest Swedish embassy or consulate. You can also get an EVA from certain Swedish travel agencies. Once you have the EVA, complete it and return it to the embassy or consulate where you obtained it. You will need to provide your passport details, photographs, proof of onward travel and sufficient funds (around $140 in cash) to cover any costs associated with your stay in Sweden, such as food and accommodation. AMERICAN VISA for Swiss Citizens

If you are not a U.S. citizen, your best bet for obtaining a Swedish visa is through a Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country. Normal application procedures apply; just be sure to provide all of the required documents as well as proof of onward travel.

Which Visa Is Right For You?

If you are a citizen of the United States and want to visit Sweden or Switzerland, you may be eligible for an American visa. The two countries have reciprocal visa agreements, so if you are a citizen of one country, you are generally eligible for a visa to the other country as well.

There are a few things to keep in mind when applying for an American visa. First, make sure that you have all of the required documents with you when you go to the embassy or consulate. You will need your passport and a ticket showing your date of departure and arrival in Sweden or Switzerland. If you are traveling with children, make sure that they have their birth certificates with them as well.

Second, be prepared to wait long periods of time to get your American visa. Sometimes it can take up to several months to receive an answer back from the embassy or consulate about your application. Keep in mind that this is not always the case – sometimes they will be able to process your application faster than that – but it’s always best to plan for the possibility that it will take longer than expected.

Finally, remember that there are some restrictions on what type of activities you can do while visiting Sweden or Switzerland while on an American visa. For example, you cannot work or study in either country while on an American visa, and you cannot stay more than 90 days total in either country during any period of consecutive 180 day periods.


If you are a citizen of the United States and you want to travel to Sweden or Switzerland, there are two types of American visas that you might be eligible for. The E-1 visa is for individuals who have extraordinary ability in arts, education, business, or science. The E-2 visa is for spouses and children of E-1 visa holders. Ideally, if you are applying for either of these visas, it would be helpful if you could provide letters from your employers verifying your qualifications. In addition, please read our guide on how to apply for an American visa so that you can get the most out of your trip!